Seven tips to help you and your family safely enjoy winter activities
“It is an exciting time of year for children and it is a great time for families to enjoy winter activities together. By taking a few precautions, you can reduce your risk of injury,” says Dr. Peter Azzopardi, Chief of Paediatrics at The Scarborough Hospital. “Dressing properly and having the right equipment is important.”
So before heading outdoors to enjoy the season, Dr. Azzopardi offers these tips:
- Dress in layers and wear a hat and mittens to help you stay warm and avoid frostbite.
- Wear sunscreen, especially on sunny days.
- Put a neck warmer on children instead of a scarf for activities like tobogganing to avoid strangulation.
- Children should wear a helmet for activities like skating and tobogganing to avoid head injury.
- Make sure your children’s winter activity equipment fits properly.
- When tobogganing, make sure the hill does not end too close to a road or parking lot.
- Never skate near open water. If skating on a pond or lake, be sure the ice is at least 10 cm thick.